Monday, March 30, 2009

DDT

This is a reposting. The original post was deleted because of stray html that I did not recognize. There was a pretty rude comment to the original post so not wanting to take any chances, I deleted the whole thing.

A little history...I was about eleven or twelve when the bicycle accident happened. That would make it around 1960 or 1961.

Here it is again.

Today I read that a woman exposed to DDT as a young girl is five times more likely to develop breast cancer. Well, now I wonder if it was DDT that spewed out of the crop duster plane as I watched enthralled from the “safety” of my living room. My mother thought it might help stop filbert worms. And, was the powdery substance coating the green bean vines DDT? Breathed it, ate it, absorbed it through the skin as I picked those beans. Were my eyes swollen shut from DDT after the bicycle accident? My mom picked gravel out of my arms and face, and sent me back to the fields. Not that I am blaming my mother, she didn’t know any better. So what if there is no history of breast cancer in our family? Those grandmothers were not exposed to DDT. Who invented it? Who made money off it? Who is still living in luxury from the interest earned on the profits? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment